Microsoft set for major releases
The next 60 days are going to be big for Microsoft as they release Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Exchange 2010. All three releases are major updates for Microsoft and include many new features and improvements. See below for more information on each release:
Introducing improved taskbar previews, bigger icons, pinning, and creative ways to personalize.
Speedy access to your favorite pictures, songs, websites, and documents.
A quick (and fun) new way to resize and compare windows on your desktop.
At last, searching your PC is as simple as searching the web.
It’s designed to sleep and resume quicker, be less memory hungry, and spot USB devices faster.
Full 64-bit support
Windows 7 makes the most of powerful 64-bit PCs, the new desktop standard.
New power-saving features are designed to help laptops run longer.
Windows 7 makes new things possible
Easier wireless networking
Easier wireless networking
Windows 7 gets you online in fewer clicks.
Windows Server 2008 R2
Windows Server 2008 provides a solid foundation for all of your server workload and application requirements while being easy to deploy and manage. Hallmark Windows Server reliability and enhanced high availability features help ensure your critical applications and data are available when you need them.
- Initial Configuration Tasks moves interactive elements of setup to after installation, eliminating the need for the administrator to interact with the installation of the operating system.
- Server Manager, the expanded Microsoft Management Console (MMC), provides a one-stop interface for server configuration and monitoring with wizards to streamline common server management tasks.
- Windows PowerShell, a new optional command-line shell and scripting language, enables administrators to automate routine system administration tasks across multiple servers.
- Windows Reliability and Performance Monitor provides powerful diagnostic tools to give you ongoing visibility into your server environment, both physical and virtual, to pinpoint and resolve issues quickly.
- Optimized server administration and data replication for increased control over servers located in remote locations, such as a branch office.
- Componentized Server Core installation option allows minimal installations where only the server roles and features you need are installed, reducing maintenance needs and decreasing the available attack surface of the server.
- Windows Deployment Services (WDS) provides a simplified, highly secure means of rapidly deploying Windows operating systems to computers by using network-based installation.
- Failover clustering wizards make it easy for even IT generalists to implement high-availability solutions, Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is now fully integrated, and geographically dispersed cluster nodes no longer need to be on the same IP subnet or configured with complicated Virtual Local Area Networks (VLANs).
- Network Load Balancing (NLB) now supports IPv6 and includes multiple dedicated IP address support which allows multiple applications to be hosted on the same NLB cluster.
- Windows Server Backup incorporates faster backup technology and simplifies data or operating system restoration.
Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V, the next-generation hypervisor-based server virtualization technology, allows you to consolidate servers and use hardware more efficiently. Several enhancements to Terminal Services (TS) improve presentation virtualization. And simpler licensing terms makes using these technologies more straightforward.
Windows Server 2008 includes improved Web administration, diagnostics, development, and application tools with Internet Information Services 7.0 (IIS 7.0), a major upgrade from IIS 6.0. Windows Server 2008 unifies the Microsoft Web publishing platform, including IIS 7.0, ASP.NET, Windows Communication Foundation, and Windows SharePoint Services.
The Windows Server 2008 operating system is hardened, integrates several identity and access technologies, and includes multiple security innovations to more easily deploy a policy-driven network that helps protect your server infrastructure, your data, and your business.
Exchange Server 2010
Flexible and Reliable
With Exchange, choose from on-premises deployment with Exchange Server 2010, a Microsoft hosted service with Exchange Online, or a seamless mix of both. Microsoft’s commitment to Software plus Services ensures you can decide on your timeline for taking advantage of the flexibility and power of both without interrupting or changing your users’ experience.
Enhancements in the latest release of Exchange provide your users access to all of their communications from a single location while making it easier for them to collaborate with each other and their business partners.
Protection and Compliance
Exchange 2010 delivers new, integrated e-mail archiving functionality–including granular multi-mailbox search, item-level retention policies and instant legal hold–making it easier to address compliance and discovery issues. Administrators get centralized control of all archives while users get direct access to their archived mail, including a familiar archive experience that does not disrupt the way they manage their inboxes every day.